Water and Wastewater Crew Member I
Job Title: Water and Wastewater Crew Member I
Primary Duties: Under direct supervision, performs work in the construction, installation, maintenance, and repair of BVU’s water and sewer lines.
Reports to: Water and Wastewater Foreman
Position Type: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in the construction, installation, maintenance, and repair of water and sewer mains for customers.
- Assists with repair and maintenance of water and sewer pump stations.
- Assists in performing basic records maintenance of work performed.
- Assists in performing proper shoring of trenches and safety practices.
- Learns to operate equipment such as backhoe, dump truck, front end loader, jet truck rodder, and trencher.
- Assists in digging and backfilling trenches.
- Learns to make skilled fittings and connections.
- Learns to maintain pressure-reducing stations.
- Learns to install and repair fire hydrants and valves.
- Assists with removal and replacement of asphalt or concrete pavement in streets and sidewalks over sewer and water ditches, as well as re-landscaping yards after construction or repair of lines.
- Learns to change out small water meters.
- Assists with elevation changes to water meter boxes, valve boxes, water and sewer lines, and sewer utility access holes and/or covers.
- Assists department with proper care and maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
- Promotes good employee and department relations by working and communicating well with other departments.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of materials and equipment used in the installation, maintenance, and repair of water and sewer lines.
- Ability to use hand and power tools.
- Must have the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Must have the ability to promote and maintain good customer and employee relations.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent (required).
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with tanker endorsement required within the first six months.
- Some construction and/or maintenance of water distribution and wastewater collection systems experience is ideal for this entry-level position.
- Ongoing training will be provided as necessitated by developments in water and wastewater distribution systems, safety training, equipment, etc.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Duties are performed outdoors in varying weather conditions.
- Incumbent is subject to being called out to perform repairs or to restore water services anytime during the night and may work in extremely cold weather.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, lift, climb and perform all other physical movements necessary to the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to move quickly over difficult terrain.
- Work schedule may vary Monday – Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. or Tuesday - Friday 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Travel is limited.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities of this job may change, or new ones are assigned at any time with or without notice to assist BVU in carrying out its customer service mission, goals, and objectives, as circumstances may dictate. This includes the short-term assignment to a wide range of other job functions and responsibilities that may be needed in situations where the loss of service to BVU’s customers is threatened or restoral of service is required.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY NOTICE
BVU Authority provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
BVU Authority reasonable accommodates qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to receive equal employment opportunity and/or perform the essentials functions of the job unless the accommodation would impose and undue hardship to the company.