The University of Virginia’s College at Wise invites applications for the position of Administrative Assistant. A division of the University of Virginia and a member of the Council for Public Arts Colleges, The University of Virginia’s College at Wise (UVA Wise) is an inspiring place to teach, learn, work, and call home. Through personalized attention and commitment to individual growth, UVA Wise prepares students to be engaged citizens. Drawing upon its foundation as a public liberal arts institution in the Appalachian region of Southwest Virginia, the College strives to build a diverse community of learners with the drive to serve and lead in their communities, the nation, and the world. We offer access and affordability, along with challenging academic work, in the liberal arts tradition. The result is well-rounded graduates who earn fulfilling positions at leading organizations and pursue graduate study at prestigious institutions.
Primary Purpose of this Position
UVA Wise seeks a success-minded, eager to learn, self-starter to provide administrative support for the Vice Chancellor for Administration, Government Relations and Strategic Initiatives and the Chancellor’s Chief of Staff.
This position coordinates scheduling and administrative support functions to ensure efficient and effective operations which includes preparation of materials and planning of logistics for staff meetings and board meetings, processing invoices, budget reconciliation, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports, grant administration, creating and editing presentations as well as promotional materials and correspondence.
Requires considerable experience working in an office environment involving proficient use of MS Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Must have considerable knowledge of administrative, office, and budgetary procedures; the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; and possess excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to interpret/analyze data and prepare reports; maintain confidentiality of proprietary information; coordinate logistical services; prioritize work; and make sound recommendations and decisions.
Administrative and Program Support
- Applies knowledge of prescribed policies, procedures and technology to a specific program or initiative.
- Maintains reports related to expenses, finances, inventories, or other specialized reports in order to account for ad evaluate items purchased, services rendered, productivity or other control-oriented activities.
- Maintains records such as quantity and quality of items purchased, credit or reimbursements due.
- Provides administrative support for the department/division such as answering telephones, assisting visitors, and resolving and/or referring a range of administrative issues and inquires.
- Establishes, maintains, and updates files, databases, records, and/or other documents; develops and maintains data, and performs routine data analyses and calculations in the processing of data for recurring internal reports.
- Sorts, screens, reviews, and distributes incoming and outgoing mail; composes, prepares, or ensures timely responses to a variety of routine written inquires.
- Prepares or assists with the preparation of scheduled and/or ad hoc statistical and narrative reports; performs basic information gathering and analysis and/or forecasting, as specifically directed.
- Schedules and coordinates meetings, events, interviews, appointments and/or other similar activities for supervisors, which may include coordinating travel and lodging arrangements.
- Provides assistance with coordination and preparation of materials for staff meetings and board meetings.
- Assists department management and staff in problems solving, project planning, and development and execution of stated goals and objectives.
- May lead and train staff and/or student employees, as required.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Requires considerable experience working in an office environment involving proficient use of computers (MS Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of agency and state policies and procedures as related to the subject area.
- Working knowledge of basic bookkeeping/accounting principles.
- Word Processing, data entry and database management skills.
- Ability to gather and analyze statistical date and generate reports.
- Collect and organize material for reports by determining what is available and what should be included to present the information in an organized format.
- Communicate with others effectively, verbally, and in writing.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials including PowerPoint presentations.
- Ability to maintain multiple calendars and schedule appointments/events.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgements.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Experience in grants management and administration.
Degree or Equivalent Experience
Associates degree in Administrative Support Technologies, related field or equivalent work experience requiring relevant job skills.
Purchasing items to efficiently run operations. Managing vendor relations and evaluating quality of goods and services.
Physical Requirements (in excess 25% of time)
This position will primarily be seated at a desk for most of each day, performing many tasks requiring manual dexterity (i.e. computer work, answering phones, sorting mail, etc.)
A complete application should contain the following information:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest in this position;
- Updated resume;
- Three (3) references with contact information
Please visit https://www.uvawise.edu/human-resources/job-opportunities and click the job title to access the application.
UVA Wise is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to excellence through diversity. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Employee fulfills duties as a “responsible employee” under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. A Responsible employee includes any employee: who has the authority to take action to redress sexual violence; who has been given the duty of reporting incidents of sexual violence or any other misconduct by students to the Title IX Coordinator or other appropriate school designee; or whom a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
UVA Wise is committed to helping the campus community provide for their own safety and security. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report containing information on campus security and personal safety, including alerts, fire safety, crime prevention tips, and crime statistics is available at www.uvawise.edu/ASR. A copy is available upon request by calling 276-328-0190 or 276-376-3451.