Archivist, Records Manager, and Liaison Librarian
The Library at the University of Virginia’s College at Wise (UVA Wise) in Wise, Virginia, invites applications for a full-time Archivist, Records Manager, and Liaison Librarian, starting July 1, 2023. The mission of the UVA Wise Library is to support the research, education and life-long learning of UVA Wise faculty, staff, students and community patrons through the use of library collections, technology, facilities and staff expertise. The Archivist, Records Manager & Liaison Librarian, henceforth known as the Archivist, performs a wide variety of work related to archive, records management and research/instruction services which includes interacting with library patrons, scheduling and promoting library programs and activities, as well as providing instructional and research assistance in addition to supervising assigned staff. The Archivist is familiar with the structures, policies, and resources within the University of Virginia, UVA Wise and Library organizations.The Archivist is responsible for the access to, professional care, daily management, and maintenance of the UVA Wise Library’s archive collections including its organization, preservation, and storage. The Archivist refines, implements, and upholds archival policies and procedures with regard to processing, documenting and accessing archival collections. In collaboration with systems and technology professionals develop digital and physical collections and exhibits highlighting distinctive collections and institutional history. Serves as the Institutional Records Manager and in consultation and with direction from UVA Wise senior managers, the General Counsel, the CFO, Director of the Library, and the CIO develops, establishes, maintains, and monitors an effective system of administrative control for safeguarding records as well as helping others understand how to stay in compliance. Serves as the government documents librarian in collaboration with other UVA Wise Library personnel. Serves as the liaison librarian to the history, philosophy and social sciences departments. Aids all library patrons as part of the UVA Wise Library team as well as supports research, instruction and collection development services and efforts. Liaises with donors, university offices, and academic departments as necessary and appropriate
- Broad knowledge of archive preservation requirements, storage needs, and registration procedures for archives.
- Up-to-date knowledge of professional standards and trends.
- Familiar with governmental regulations and legal requirements related to archives experience in compliance with same.
- Familiarity with records management principles, practices and legal requirements, preferably in an academic setting.
- Familiar with government documents management, collection development/maintenance, and disposition.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with staff, trustees, vendors and others; and strong public relations skills with demonstrated success.
- Organize and manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Supervisory skills; Academic library supervision experience preferred.
- Demonstrated technology skills including Word, PowerPoint, Access, Excel as well as service-based technology including printing, photocopier, and inventory, plus archives’ specific technology including but not limited to: ContentDM, Archives Space, Digital Commons, and Omeka.
- Problem-solving skills, initiative, follow-through, attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience assessing reference, research and instruction services in meeting defined learning outcomes.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all professional matters as well as an ability to work independently, identify and modify work priorities as needed or directed.
- Ability to apply broad knowledge of library functions and understanding to train, supervise, evaluate and mentor. Specifically, train, supervise, evaluate and mentor paraprofessionals, wage and student assistant personnel.
- Ability to work collegially and courteously with multicultural populations and varying educational levels. Demonstrable interpersonal communication skills preferred.
- Ability to oversee archive operations, facility and technology independently during scheduled work periods.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-based environment while overseeing and troubleshooting assigned operations, facility and technology independently during scheduled work periods, as well as assist other staff in their day-to-day role and responsibilities.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, effectively and efficiently in a changing environment.
- Ability to make professional judgments in daily situations.
- Work collaboratively to cross-training of faculty/professional-level
- Creativity; motivation. Take initiative and propose solutions.
- Planning, time management and follow through.
- Physical stamina and ability to lift materials and push loaded book trucks.
Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification required for entry into position:
- A. or M.L.I.S. in Archives, Library Science, Museum Studies, or related field with formal training in archives management and preservation or commensurate experience.
- Three years of archives experience required, preferably in an academic setting.
- Experience and training in records management.
- Experience with professional archives management software and environmental monitoring applications.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Teaching and information literacy experience preferred.
Interested applicants for any of the position should apply online at UVA Jobs (virginia.edu) attaching a candidate profile that includes: 1) application, 2) cover letter, 3) current CV, 5) contact information for three references and 6) unofficial transcripts. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States.
Employee fulfills duties as a “responsible employee” under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. A Responsible employee includes any employee: who has the authority to take action to redress sexual violence; who has been given the duty of reporting incidents of sexual violence or any other misconduct by students to the Title IX Coordinator or other appropriate school designee; or whom a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
UVA Wise is committed to helping the campus community provide for their own safety and security. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report containing information on campus security and personal safety, including alerts, fire safety, crime prevention tips, and crime statistics is available at www.uvawise.edu/ASR. A copy is available upon request by calling 276-328-0190 or 276-376-3451.
UVA Wise is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to excellence through diversity. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, military status, and family medical or genetic information.
COVID Vaccination Requirement and Guidelines
Please visit the UVA COVID-19 Job Requirements and Guidelines webpage prior to applying for current information regarding vaccination requirements and guidelines for employment at UVA.