Assistant Director of Educational Services & Research Support Department and Liaison Librarian
The Library at the University of Virginia’s College at Wise (UVA Wise) in Wise, Virginia, invites applications for a full-time , starting July 1, 2023. The mission of the UVA Wise Library is to support the research, education and life-long learning of UVA Wise faculty, staff, students and community patrons through the use of library collections, technology, facilities and staff expertise. The Assistant Director of Educational Services & Research Support manages the operations, resources and personnel of the ES&RS Department. The position manages an active information literacy and outreach program that meets the educational and research needs of the College at Wise faculty, staff, students, administrators, and community patrons. Also, the position develops and implements educational, collections and research support services that align with the Library’s and College’s strategic priorities in coordination with Library and campus stakeholders. Serves as the liaison librarian to the Center for Teaching Excellence and Education Departments, as well as oversees the support and services to the graduate programs/departments and library building partners.
- Broad knowledge of reference, research, instruction, and subject librarian/liaison services.
- Familiar with management techniques effective in directing, planning, organizing, staffing, and coordinating reference, research and instruction as well as associated personnel in the reference, research, instruction and liaison areas of the Library's operation.
- Familiarity with identifying and assessing learning needs of students, recognizing and supporting teaching goals/outcomes of faculty, and creatively addressing identified needs and goals/outcomes across multiple contexts drawing on a repertoire of tools, methods, and theories, preferably in an academic setting.
- Knowledge of issues in open education, open textbooks, open access, copyright, licensing and intellectual property.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating within and outside the Library to create an environment supportive of interdisciplinary research, collections and discovery.
- Evidence of strong supervisory, team management, or leadership skills in an academic library.
- Teaching skills required. Experience in information literacy instruction preferred.
- Demonstrated experience assessing reference, research and instruction services in meeting defined learning outcomes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with colleagues, administrators, vendors and others; and strong public relations skills with demonstrated success.
- Organize and manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Demonstrated currency with trends and innovations in learning and instructional technologies.
- Demonstrated technology skills including, but not limited to: Microsoft Office products, Canva, Canvas, citation applications (i.e. Zotero), and SpringShare, as well as service-based technology including printing, photocopier, and inventory applications, plus network technology experience.
- Problem-solving skills, initiative, follow-through, attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all professional matters as well as an ability to work independently, identify and modify work priorities as needed or directed.
- Ability to apply broad knowledge of library functions and understanding to train, supervise, evaluate and mentor. Specifically, train, supervise, evaluate and mentor direct reports as well as paraprofessional, wage and student assistant personnel.
- Ability to work collegially and courteously with multicultural populations and varying educational levels. Demonstrable interpersonal communication skills preferred.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-based environment while overseeing assigned operations, facility and technology independently during scheduled work periods, as well as assist other staff in their day-to-day role and responsibilities.
- Troubleshooting skills including technical and facility.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, effectively and efficiently in a changing environment.
- Ability to make professional judgments in daily situations.
- Ability to prepare reports and present ideas clearly and concisely in written and oral form.
- Physical stamina and ability to lift materials and push loaded book trucks.
- Provides leadership and sets priorities and goals for educational services and research support in alignment with the Library’s and University’s missions, strategic plans and goals/outcomes.
- Instructs users in research processes and information literacy competencies specific to disciplines represented in the College’s academic programs, as well as advising members of the College community about library instructional services in general.
- Develops, implements, delivers, and assesses reference and research support services that align with the Library’s and College’s strategic priorities in coordination with library and campus stakeholders.
- Develops and implements outreach and programming activities which promote library resources and services.
- Applies broad knowledge of library functions and understanding to incorporate available technologies into the processes of reference, research and instruction activities as well as facility support.
Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification required for entry into position:
- MLS or M.L.I.S. in Library Science, Library & Information Science, or related field with commensurate experience. (NOTE: Graduation with a master's degree in a specialized area directly relevant to the position description may be an acceptable substitute in certain situations if approved. A second masters in another discipline or an earned doctorate is highly desirable.)
- At least five years of progressively more responsible professional experience providing research, instruction, and subject librarian/liaison services.
- Experience with library technology and applications.
- Collection development, maintenance and assessment.
- Supervisory experience.
Interested applicants for any of the position should visit UVA Jobs (virginia.edu) and complete a candidate profile that includes: 1) application, 2) cover letter, 3) current CV, 4) letter describing your teaching philosophy, 5) contact information for three references and 6) unofficial transcripts. The position will remain open until filled and start in August 2023. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States.
Employee fulfills duties as a “responsible employee” under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. A Responsible employee includes any employee: who has the authority to take action to redress sexual violence; who has been given the duty of reporting incidents of sexual violence or any other misconduct by students to the Title IX Coordinator or other appropriate school designee; or whom a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
UVA Wise is committed to helping the campus community provide for their own safety and security. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report containing information on campus security and personal safety, including alerts, fire safety, crime prevention tips, and crime statistics is available at www.uvawise.edu/ASR. A copy is available upon request by calling 276-328-0190 or 276-376-3451.
UVA Wise is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to excellence through diversity. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, military status, and family medical or genetic information.
COVID Vaccination Requirement and Guidelines
Please visit the UVA COVID-19 Job Requirements and Guidelines webpage prior to applying for current information regarding vaccination requirements and guidelines for employment at UVA.