Assistant Professor of Education
Assistant Professor of Education
The Department of Education of UVA Wise invites applications for a tenure-track position in Education for August 2024. The position is a full-time, 9-month commitment at the assistant professor level and with the potential for summer teaching and research support.
Preference will be given to candidates with teaching experience in education areas such as reading, diagnostic of reading problems, literacy, and the science of reading. Duties include teaching undergraduate courses in education, as well as upper-level courses in the applicant’s field of expertise; the teaching load may include the supervision of interns.
The UVA Wise Education Department is a small department where faculty work together closely in a collaborative and supportive environment. We are a community of diverse teachers and learners. We are committed to promoting the educational, cultural, and economic development of Southwest Virginia through innovative collaborations, partnerships, and a commitment to diversity and inclusion. Faculty are expected to work together on projects such as accreditation reports, curriculum planning, clinical faculty training, advising, and other projects. Salary is negotiable and is based on experience and other achievements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Teach 12 credits during the fall and spring semesters (24 annually).
· Teach both undergraduate and graduate courses.
· Teach in different modalities (in-person and virtually).
· Potential courses:
EDU 2510 Foundation of American Education
EDU 3450 Foundations of Reading Instruction
EDU 4100 Diagnosis and Correction of Reading Problems
EDU 5600 Literacy for All Learners
EDU 5640 Teaching in America: Past, Present, & Future
· Supervise students during student teaching internships.
· Work with UVA Wise faculty in the continuing development, review, and management of the existing endorsement program, including scheduling, budgeting, equipment, and other areas as needed.
· Recruit and advise students.
· Conduct an active research/publication agenda.
· Collaborate with local educators and school administrators to foster strong community relationships.
· Perform campus-wide faculty duties, including holding office hours, attending department and other meetings, adhering to UVA Wise policies, serving on college committees, and performing service requirements of tenure-track faculty.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Doctoral degree (PhD or EdD) Education or related field required. ABD will also be considered if the degree will be completed by the date of appointment. Candidates with a terminal degree in Curriculum & Instruction or Reading and Literacy are strongly encouraged to apply.
· Minimum of three (3) years of experience teaching in a PK-12 education setting, such as elementary, middle, and high school grades in public education.
· Demonstrated ability in successful teaching. Finalists will be required to demonstrate competence through a teaching demonstration.
· Demonstrated expertise in curriculum and instruction development (i.e. teacher-education curriculum and UVA Wise curriculum).
· Demonstrated ability and interest in creative, unique, and effective approaches to teaching.
· Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work well with faculty, staff, and students both orally and in writing.
· Strong commitment to working collaboratively with UVA Wise partners in the community and other UVA Wise programs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Ability to work collaboratively with college and public school colleagues within a diverse environment.
· Knowledge of applicable federal, state, county, and local laws, regulations, and requirements.
· Knowledge of the field of study.
· Knowledge of instructional techniques and practices in the field.
· Knowledge of UVA Wise policies and procedures.
· Ability to write reports and correspond professionally.
· Ability to organize and express ideas, directions, and data in a logical sequence to describe a process, or explain procedures such as how to perform a task to students.
· Ability to present materials effectively to individual students or groups.
· Ability to manage situations requiring tact, diplomacy, and discretion.
· Ability to work independently and meet specific timelines.
This is primarily a classroom instructor position with some required travel to attend meetings, visit interns and conferences.
A division of the University of Virginia and a member of the Council for Public Liberal Arts Colleges, The University of Virginia's College at Wise (UVA Wise) is an inspiring place to teach, learn, work, and call home. Through personalized attention and commitment to individual growth, UVA Wise prepares students to be engaged citizens. Drawing upon its foundation as a public liberal arts institution in the Appalachian region of Southwest Virginia, the College strives to build a diverse community of learners with the drive to serve and lead in their communities, the nation, and the world. We offer access and affordability along with challenging academic work in the liberal arts tradition. The result is well-rounded graduates who earn fulfilling positions at leading organizations and pursue graduate study at prestigious institutions. UVA
Wise is consistently ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top public liberal arts colleges in the nation whose students graduate with a low average student loan debt.
Interested applicants should apply online at jobs.virginia.edu and complete a candidate profile that includes: 1) an application, 2) a cover letter, 3) a current CV, 4) a letter describing your teaching philosophy, 5) contact information for three references, and 6) unofficial transcripts. The start date for the position will be August 2024. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States.
UVA Wise is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence, affordable access, and unwavering support of a collaborative and diverse community. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Employee fulfills duties as a “responsible employee” under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. A Responsible employee includes any employee: who has the authority to take action to redress sexual violence; who has been given the duty of reporting incidents of sexual violence or any other misconduct by students to the Title IX Coordinator or other appropriate school designee; or whom a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
UVA Wise is committed to helping the campus community provide for their own safety and security. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report containing information on campus security and personal safety, including alerts, fire safety, crime prevention tips, and crime statistics is available at www.uvawise.edu/ASR. A copy is available upon request by calling 276-328-0190 or 276-376-3451.