Director, Office of Student Engagement
Director, Office of Student Engagement
A division of the University of Virginia and a member of the Council for Public Liberal Arts Colleges, The University of Virginia's College at Wise (UVA Wise) is an inspiring place to teach, learn, work, and call home. Through personalized attention and commitment to individual growth, UVA Wise prepares students to be engaged citizens. Drawing upon its foundation as a public liberal arts institution in the Appalachian region of Virginia, the College strives to build a diverse community of learners with the drive to serve and lead in their communities, the nation, and the world. Our student population is largely Pell-eligible, often rural students, for whom we offer access and affordability along with challenging academic work in the liberal arts tradition. The result is well-rounded graduates who earn fulfilling positions at leading organizations and pursue graduate study at prestigious institutions, as evidenced recently when U.S. News & World Report ranked UVA Wise as eighth in the nation for promoting social mobility.
The Director position is a collaborative, visible leader at UVA Wise and a member of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs leadership team who will oversee key aspects of the student experience including Expedition (welcome week), transition programs, and clubs and organizations. The scope of the work involves designing and execution of a peer leadership program in addition to overseeing the work of 2 professionals responsible for transition programs and student clubs and organizations.
- Design and implement a peer leadership curriculum, including development of a student leadership education digital resource center
- Provide leadership for student engagement programs and services designed to complement and enhance the student experience
- Oversee the development and implementation of policies and procedures specifically geared toward student organizations, including Greek Life
- Develop and implement ongoing assessments for activities of department
- Assist in the management of the student engagement online platform utilized for campus life and student activities
- Assist the Division in the implementation of campus events
- Supervise two professional positions – Coordinator of Student Engagement, Vibrant Campus Community Coordinator
- Stay abreast of best practices regarding student belonging, support, and retention
- Develop strong working relationships with colleagues to ensure a comprehensive and coordinated approach to student support and leadership development
- Ability to build and lead a team effectively
- Broad knowledge of issues and trends impacting undergraduate students
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities and deadlines
- Commitment to being part of an inclusive College community
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills
- Master’s degree in higher education administration or related field
- Experience in student engagement programming
- Demonstrated ability in developing a student-centered approach
- 2 years of relevant experience
A complete application should contain the following information:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest in this position;
- Updated resume;
- Three (3) references with contact information
Please visit https://www.uvawise.edu/human-resources/job-opportunities and click the job title.
UVA Wise is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to excellence through diversity. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Employee fulfills duties as a “responsible employee” under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. A Responsible employee includes any employee: who has the authority to take action to redress sexual violence; who has been given the duty of reporting incidents of sexual violence or any other misconduct by students to the Title IX Coordinator or other appropriate school designee; or whom a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
UVA Wise is committed to helping the campus community provide for their own safety and security. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report containing information on campus security and personal safety, including alerts, fire safety, crime prevention tips, and crime statistics is available at www.uvawise.edu/ASR. A copy is available upon request by calling 276-328-0190 or 276-376-3451.