Library Support Assistant
The Library at the University of Virginia’s College at Wise (UVA Wise) in Wise, Virginia, invites applications for a full-time Library Support Assistant. This is a non-exempt position. The mission of the UVA Wise Library is to support the research, education and life-long learning of UVA Wise faculty, staff, students and community patrons through the use of library collections, technology, facilities and staff expertise. The chief objective of the Library Support Assistant is to perform clerical, support and technical tasks to ensure the Library’s personnel can communicate, achieve timely outcomes, and work efficiently. The position performs general to moderately complex tasks associated with service and collection support, patron functions and facility/environmental operations. Managing day-to-day administrative functions, the position provides archive and technical processing, as well as direct public service. Working knowledge and functionality of the Campus, IT and Library core operations, services and functions will be an essential function of the job. The position supports the entire Library team and works directly with the Director of the UVA Wise Library, Archivist and Assistant Director of Technical Services/Cataloging, as well as internal and external parties.
Broad knowledge of office organizational and management process, as well as library functions. Academic experience preferred.
- Experience assessing and responding to routine, non-routine and moderately complex patron, technology or facility needs, situations and issues independently or with minimal supervision.
- Experience interpreting, explaining and applying a variety of policies and procedures independently or with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of and ability to work with Microsoft Office, Library and IT networked/online systems as well as service-based technology including printing hardware and systems, photocopier, and collection processing and archival technology/systems. Experience troubleshooting preferred.
- Knowledge of and ability to work with library on-line systems, electronic/web resources and computers.
- Basic understanding of information organization, cataloging rules and ability to create/update records/system data. Academic experience preferred.
- Knowledge of copy and original cataloging for a variety of materials and formats in accordance with national standards.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Organize and manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently as well as modify work priorities as needed or directed.
- Demonstrated technology skills including Word, PowerPoint, Access, Excel, as well as utilize systems to import records and maintain the integrity of the data.
- Problem-solving skills, initiative, follow-through, attention to detail.
- Strong customer service / public relations skills; demonstrated success working with the public.
- Ability to apply broad knowledge of library functions and understanding to work tasks, projects, etc.
- Ability to work collegially and courteously with multicultural populations and varying educational levels. Demonstrable interpersonal communication skills preferred.
- Ability to coordinate the Director of Library’s calendar and provide office functions (i.e. take meeting minutes, assist with report preparation, etc.) independently. Ability to make professional judgments in daily situations and handle multiple tasks simultaneously, effectively and efficiently in a changing environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-based environment.
- Planning, time management and follow through.
- Physical stamina and ability to lift materials and push loaded book trucks.
- High School diploma or equivalent education required.
- At least 1 yr of administrative, archival or support assistant experience required.
- Basic proficiency in copy &/or original cataloguing required with knowledge of or a basic proficiency in a foreign language preferred.
Interested applicants for any of the position should apply online at jobs.virginia.edu and complete a candidate profile that includes: 1) application, 2) cover letter, 3) current resume, and 4) contact information for three references. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States.
Employee fulfills duties as a “responsible employee” under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. A Responsible employee includes any employee: who has the authority to take action to redress sexual violence; who has been given the duty of reporting incidents of sexual violence or any other misconduct by students to the Title IX Coordinator or other appropriate school designee; or whom a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
UVA Wise is committed to helping the campus community provide for their own safety and security. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report containing information on campus security and personal safety, including alerts, fire safety, crime prevention tips, and crime statistics is available at www.uvawise.edu/ASR. A copy is available upon request by calling 276-328-0190 or 276-376-3451.
UVA Wise is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to excellence through diversity. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, military status, and family medical or genetic information.
COVID Vaccination Requirement and Guidelines
Please visit the UVA COVID-19 Job Requirements and Guidelines webpage prior to applying for current information regarding vaccination requirements and guidelines for employment at UVA.